Korn and similar bands before the nu-metal label and mainstream: 1993-1997

Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I don't remember the word nu-metal being used back in 1995/1996. There were a number of bands that came out in the mid-90's that were similar to korn and toured with them constantly. They weren't really regarded as metal but somekind of revival hybrid groove-ridden funkcore or rapcore. "groovecore" or heavy groove if you want. I think in some interview fieldy rejected the term nu-metal (this was in the 2000's) saying the musicwas never metal and the term was inaccurate and said the heavy groove makes most sense. It's all a word. But you get my point.

The following bands: phunk junkeez , shooty groovez, and deftones, incubus, hedpe, limp bizkit, snot, sevendust, powerman 5000, sugar ray, 311 and a lot others. I'm only describing their music before sometime during 1998. Most of them peaked or were at their best during 1995-1997,

Some of the rapcore genres became more heavy groove and some were more strict.

Unrelated to heavy groove bands, pure rapcore peaked around 1992-1993 like rage against the machine (more like grunge and hard rock than metal or punk same thing) , as did Rap Metal like claw finger, and body count which was NOT like heavy groove or nu-metal which came later.

So what are your thoughts on this era and genre. I think it is VERY overlooked and there are some gem albums and recordings from this period.

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Korn and similar bands before the nu-metal label and mainstream: 1993-1997

Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Svein wrote:
    Ok, guys.
    Just to inform you that we will start to record some serious CD-s, we are Krd band from Croatia and we need some info for how that is possible to record a cd?
    Somone can describe me what in this case we can do?
    Krd, Svein

Btw. JD how's the recording of the Freedom going ? :)

Get the latest from Korn!