What are YOUR opinions on korn+skrillex

Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I prefer their old stuff but I love the band members either way

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: What are YOUR opinions on korn+skrillex

Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 1:21 AM

The album was surprisingly good to be honest. Upon first glance, it's like "oh wow, that is SO selling out," and in a way it kind of was but hearing the interviews about it, it's pretty clear that JD found a new obsession (he's an obsessive personality type of person) and spread dubstep with his fellow band members. They decided sure why not, let's just give a roll who cares. And honestly, it came out pretty good. It's honest music for sure.

Like you, I prefer their old stuff by a long shot. But honestly, the only Korn album I've actually disliked was Untitled. The band was in shambles at the time and it showed. There were a few catchy choruses, and some groovy riffs here and there, but honestly that album was pretty terrible. I was pleasantly surprised by the follow-up album, needless to say.

Which is further proof of what I'm about to say: People shouldn't worry so damn much about The Path of Totality "ruining Korn." It was a one-time thing. Korn has always been like, "okay, we're still Korn and we are obviously Korn but we are going to mix it up this album by doing ." Think about it.

Korn and Life is Peachy were their first albums. They found a very unique sound from their jamming and went with it. Follow The Leader they started bringing in more rap elements, and some very catchy hooks and choruses. Issues was a concept album and it was more alternative rock than usual for them, the album actually sounds half-way normal for Korn while still being pretty heavy. Untouchables was them taking every song and honing it to absolute perfection in terms of the production process and sampling. (I didn't like how perfect it sounded, but other people love it; to each their own! :] ) After those two albums, they figured people wanted another heavy album ... so they threw at us their heaviest album ever, Take a Look in the Mirror. After that headbang fest they started experimenting again, and result was See You On The Other Side; which is extremely experimental. I don't know what they were doing with Untitled, other than allowing JD to bitch and moan about Head/religion/other shit that we don't want to hear, I'm not the best person to ask about that one. Then they made Korn III as a tribute to all their old school fans. Finally The Path of Totality is them experimenting again.

Korn goes in cycles of experimenting and doing their tried and true methods. There is no need to worry that "dubstep ruined Korn" or whatever. Dubstep ruined one Korn album for some people. ONE. Out of ten! That's not exactly the end of the world. Plus, Munky has been saying in interviews that their next album is closer to their usual stuff; definitely not even a hint of dubstep.

That said, I'm preaching at all the Path of Totality complainers; not you, you didn't complain you just asked peoples' opinions which is great :) Good thread!

2. eva avatar eva

Re: What are YOUR opinions on korn+skrillex

Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I agree. When I first heard they were doing a dubstep album, I thought OH GOD NO. I still bought The Path of Totality anyways, and upon listening to it, they actually could pull it off. I find it better than Untitled actually. Still though, I don't like how you can't really hear Munky and Fieldy's work in the album, as the beats and the wub wub wubs drown them out. But overall, it doesn't sound awful like I was expecting. Just listen to Three Days Grace trying to pull off the dubstep-rock thing now. They sound like a mess. I mean they always sucked but trying to pull off a genre combination as good as KoRn does is quite impossible.

3. Re: What are YOUR opinions on korn+skrillex

Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Ya, I can agree with that. The drums are pretty audible, but indeed the dubstep elements drowned out Fieldy a bit and especially Munky. I'm sure the production process was a pain in the ass, getting all of the sound levels right with each other, and still like you say it isn't perfect.

I'm not going to lie I think David would've done better with the drumming than Ray did. I'm biased of course, but the whole dubstep drum style seems a lot closer to David's sort of work than Ray's. That said, Ray is a professional, probably the best musician in the band* and as such is very adaptable, so he did a good job.

I was pretty cynical at first too, haha! I was like "oh no way." Then I listened and I was like ... wow this actually kind of works. I have not heard the Three Days Grace album, I should give it a listen just to laugh. Haha. They are far too normal of a band to pull off something like that.

[[ *People are gonna hate me for saying that. When I say professional and best musician, let's think about it ... Ray wasn't a super famous guy, he self-taught himself drums, went to college just for drums and was giving people drum lessons from then on. He's a teaching, studio musician. That brand of musician is truly better with music than most of the performers we know and love. I don't mean to hate on our performers though ... just pointing out that studio musicians are bloody geniuses, unsung heroes. ]]

4. Re: What are YOUR opinions on korn+skrillex

Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 12:30 AM

well ive always liked electronic music my first Cd i ever bought was Prodigy-Fat of the land

so when korn did TPOT it was like coming full circle to me i liked it

5. Re: What are YOUR opinions on korn+skrillex

Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM

My first reaction was something like "WTF is that?".
    But passing through the surprise, I really loved the album and the mix of both styles Neo Metal/Dubstep.

So this album is really good and I appreciate it a lot.
    It gave me ideas, and I went to experiment such collaboration with an Electro Rock artist.
    http://youtu.be/StyxmeyYa2U

Maybe you will like the song.

Ben.
    Ben from LEAVING PARIS Metal Band

Get the latest from Korn!