It's Evolution

Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 9:24 PM

As a band that fuses many genres, KoRn have given us their own interpretation and redefinition of rock, hip hop, groove, pop, world, progressive and everything in between. Each respective style that they've adopted and made their own gives their music a different flavor and sheds new light on their abilities as songwriters and performers. These transitions, and the growth they experience as a result of them, are perhaps seen most clearly in each of their respective albums.

What are your favorite musical periods of the band, and why? What was special about them? And which did you hate?

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: It's Evolution

Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 9:37 PM

As I can't pick one particular album period from the time, I'm gonna say 95-99, especially the Issues era. The glacial ambience and starkness of that album with the mix of the party vibe on ...Leader and Visceral bleakness of the first two records, as well as the fun band times, Head's bowel-scraping live sound, Fieldy's awesome bass slaps, the hissing, lisping style of Jon's singing, Minky's great guitar parts and outfits, and David's ridiculous drumming capabilities, as well as the awesome albuma rtwork and merchandise, the clothing of the time (I'm a total 90s kid) and the whole vibe of the band enjoying themselves was just more catchy and interesting and immersive than pretty much every other band I've ever heard then or since. I can't describe it without feeling giddy about the whole experience...although I feel in recent years that there have been more and more albums coming along with more songs that aren't that great instead of whole albums you can't possibly pick one bad song from. I give them credit for trying to break out of their comfort zone, but it hasn't always worked. But in their comfort zone they are untouchable and I'll love them forever.

Oz =)

Oz ...be yourself, let you come through...

2. Re: It's Evolution

Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 10:12 PM

My favorite era would be the 94-98 period. I like the really raw sound that KoRn and Life is Peachy had and then the more hip-hop-ish style of Follow the Leader. I dont really hate anything that KoRn has done. Similar to waht Oktoberwolf said, some of the more recent experimental work doesnt turn out amazing, but I still like it.
    "you see beauty, I see pain, you see sky, and I see acid rain"

3. Re: It's Evolution

Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 5:14 AM

oktoberwolf wrote:
    As I can't pick one particular album period from the time, I'm gonna say 95-99, especially the Issues era. The glacial ambience and starkness of that album with the mix of the party vibe on ...Leader and Visceral bleakness of the first two records, as well as the fun band times, Head's bowel-scraping live sound, Fieldy's awesome bass slaps, the hissing, lisping style of Jon's singing, Minky's great guitar parts and outfits, and David's ridiculous drumming capabilities, as well as the awesome albuma rtwork and merchandise, the clothing of the time (I'm a total 90s kid) and the whole vibe of the band enjoying themselves was just more catchy and interesting and immersive than pretty much every other band I've ever heard then or since. I can't describe it without feeling giddy about the whole experience...although I feel in recent years that there have been more and more albums coming along with more songs that aren't that great instead of whole albums you can't possibly pick one bad song from. I give them credit for trying to break out of their comfort zone, but it hasn't always worked. But in their comfort zone they are untouchable and I'll love them forever.

Oz =)

i agree. korn had crazy clothing lines and merch back in the 90s. i am actually buying a rare shirt from that era this week. that's the definitive style of KoRn. i really dont like most of the shirt designs they have nowadays on the official store. kinda boring and common style.
    just can't beat those cool shirts, jersey and windbreakers bands like korn and deftones had back in the days

My band :)
    www.myspace.com/dekadentaesthetix

4. Re: It's Evolution

Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 10:43 AM

sKoRnLLeX wrote:
    oktoberwolf wrote:

Oz =)

i agree. korn had crazy clothing lines and merch back in the 90s. i am actually buying a rare shirt from that era this week. that's the definitive style of KoRn. i really dont like most of the shirt designs they have nowadays on the official store. kinda boring and common style.
    just can't beat those cool shirts, jersey and windbreakers bands like korn and deftones had back in the days

My band :)
    www.myspace.com/dekadentaesthetix

Yeah everything was better back in the day, and the goofyness of the band was there in spades. I love that era and it just takes me right back to when there were a lot of good bands around and no emo =) hehehe

5. Re: It's Evolution

Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I really liked Issues and Untouchables. They did not have the rawness of Self Titled or Life is Peachy that im sure every korn fan loves with a passion, but the music is very well put together and you can hear the musical maturity in all the band. Issues was the branch between Korns rawness and their musical maturity. The structures and melodies of Untouchables are great, its unfortunate that many of the songs would be difficult to translate live, but thats what Zach Baird is there for! ;)
    -=[ Nothing in Life is to be Feared, Only Understood ]=-

6. Re: It's Evolution

Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Favorite era would definitely be 1996 - 2002 for me.

This was the best time to be a KoRn fan I feel, there was so much amazing shit going on musically, merchandise wise, outside marketing, just awesome stuff going on for the fans.

In fact, that period would extend further (I can't count the time before LIP, I didn't get into KoRn until '95) but Untouchables was when the Kamp began doubting their staying power, TALITM was liked even less, and Head left after that and 80% of the old school KoRn lovers become new school KoRn lovers with SYOTOS, so while I still love that time it's a bit of a darker spot then the time before.
    "Death is but a door. Time is but a window. I'll be back"

7. Re: It's Evolution

Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Like most of you so far, my favorite musical period for the band was the Issues - Untouchables era. It's precisely my favorite "sound" that the band has ever had, though I still appreciate the raw, earlier albums and the later experimental ones. Those albums have very heavy points, as well as haunting, soft parts which I think are even more important for setting the feeling of it all - the kind of sounds that go straight through your bones. I also liked the style of Jonathan's singing during those albums; though lyrically I like Untitled best.

8. Re: It's Evolution

Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 9:31 PM

HeAdMuNkY wrote:
    My favorite era would be the 94-98 period. I like the really raw sound that KoRn and Life is Peachy had and then the more hip-hop-ish style of Follow the Leader. I dont really hate anything that KoRn has done. Similar to waht Oktoberwolf said, some of the more recent experimental work doesnt turn out amazing, but I still like it.

Ok, you and Oktoberwolf said everything I wanted to say lol

9. Re: It's Evolution

Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Belu.Jordison wrote:
    HeAdMuNkY wrote:

Ok, you and Oktoberwolf said everything I wanted to say lol

hehe =)

10. Re: It's Evolution

Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Generally I like when bands begin experimenting and maturing as people and musicians. The advancing of the sound is there, but they still have the fire of youth.

For Korn that'd be the Issues era.
    find me wrapped in glass and slowly soaked in lime

11. Re: It's Evolution

Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 6:51 AM

For me it's the Issues era cuz that's my favorite Korn album and Sick and Twisted is the best tour ever,aswell...good times.
    It's fucking jack o'clock

12. Re: It's Evolution

Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 12:23 AM

All of them, there is no way I could just pick one.

13. Re: It's Evolution

Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 4:10 AM

My favorite musical period of Korn was their first album. They were all new back then and did stuff nobody even tried before. It's exactly what my favorite band should sound like. To this day it is still my all-time favorite album (in music, not just Korn).

The musical period I like least (since I don't hate any of them) is SYOTOS. It's got some decent songs on there, but overal it's my least favorite Korn album. I can't really explain why , I just don't like the sound. Too much computer maybe?

14. Re: It's Evolution

Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 9:38 AM

This may sound cheesy but, I don't hate any of Korn's evolutions. I like them all. Korn is one of those bands for me that can start playing polka and I would still listen to it.
    Does it make me bad??

15. Re: It's Evolution

Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I really love all Korn .... but in the present sounds Powerfull ... i love Ray luzier... korn is much better TODAY...

94-present

we need who then now 3....
    Costa Rica!!!!!!! presente

Get the latest from Korn!