Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I've heard so many people say this. Some people say that Korn started to go downhill after "Life is Peachy" and some people say that the first two albums were good and everything past that sucked. Why do you think this is? I for one like all of their albums, and am confused when people say things like that.

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 2:57 PM

For me the first Korn-album is the best cuz that is the album which to me has the best songs on it. In fact it is my all-time favorite music-album. I love the whole atmosphere, sound, rawness and to me it is what Korn sounded like before they had everything and made the album they really wanted to make without writing hits.

I don't think Korn went downhill after Life is Peachy though. They made some albums that weren't the best Korn stuff, but then they also made some great albums. I think most people couldn't stand the fact that Korn got big and called them sellouts. That's what always happens when a band scores a hit.
    I think FTL was a good album but it's not my favorite. I like Issues and Untouchables better since they have more songs on there that I like. Then there were TALITM and SYOTOS which are also not the best Korn albums imo (Gotta say SYOTOS is my least favorite, but I love the (cover) art for that album) and then there were Untitled (which I really appreciate as an experimental artsy type of album) and Korn III which is also an amazing album.

So I wouldn't say Korn went downhill. They just had some bumps in the road.

2. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I agreed ^^^ mostly. Theyre considered the "best" because it was before Korn became big and when... well I suppose putting there best foot's forward and being the best they could became important to be picked up by a record company. Afterwards they were just trying some stuff, seeing what they liked. Korn's frist album and Korn lll are my favorites. But Life is Peachy, Issues, and Untitled are close seconds. SYOTOS and TALITM were awesome, same with Untouchables, but yeah...

3. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered

Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I like all of Korn's albums (excluding some songs), And to answer your question, because either people didn't like the bands direction in sound or how they got popular.
    Who Then Now?

4. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Jeroen Moody wrote:
    For me the first Korn-album is the best cuz that is the album which to me has the best songs on it. In fact it is my all-time favorite music-album. I love the whole atmosphere, sound, rawness and to me it is what Korn sounded like before they had everything and made the album they really wanted to make without writing hits.

I don't think Korn went downhill after Life is Peachy though. They made some albums that weren't the best Korn stuff, but then they also made some great albums. I think most people couldn't stand the fact that Korn got big and called them sellouts. That's what always happens when a band scores a hit.
    I think FTL was a good album but it's not my favorite. I like Issues and Untouchables better since they have more songs on there that I like. Then there were TALITM and SYOTOS which are also not the best Korn albums imo (Gotta say SYOTOS is my least favorite, but I love the (cover) art for that album) and then there were Untitled (which I really appreciate as an experimental artsy type of album) and Korn III which is also an amazing album.

So I wouldn't say Korn went downhill. They just had some bumps in the road.

I agree. The first album is my favorite Korn album. Life is Peachy is pretty good too, although not as good as the first one. Follow the Leader was a good album, although I never really listened to it. Issues was a fantastic album. Untouchables I never listened to that much, but "Here to Stay" and "No One's There" are two of my favorite Korn songs. TALITM was a great album. SYOTOS was probably my least favorite too, though I will admit that I never really listened to all of the songs on it. Untitled was a great album, and I don't understand the dislike for it. Korn III was good, but not my favorite.

Overall, Korn has had some bumps in the road, I agree, but for the most part they are a great band. They have evolved, but they haven't worsened. And I don't get the "selling-out" bit. As long as the music sounds good, you should listen to it. All bands want to make money.

5. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Because those were the albums that had the biggest impact on music and defined the nu metal genre. It was fresh, unique, heavy as balls and no one had heard anything like it before. Then other bands rode the wave, and the intimate charm of those albums got diluted. The material that followed was good, but for many people it just seems like a play off the first two.

6. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered

Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

It's a safe opinion to say the first two albums are the best. People say that about pretty much every other band with more than just a couple studio albums. "Selling out" is a moronic term; every band sells out once they sign a recording contract. Who cares anyway? Music fans are fickle and don't want their favorite band to gain mainstream appeal, nor do they want them to change their sound even a tiny bit. All of Korn's nine albums are different from each other, whether you like 'em or not, but the cool thing is that they all sound like Korn. My personal favorite is Untouchables, and I love Untitled to death, so they definitely haven't gone downhill after LIP. Only elitist scum like Blabbermouth/PRP users make statements like that.

7. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 4:00 AM

Yeah. People who do not think a band should get big aren't really fans I think.
    I think it's great Korn got their big break. Otherwise, most of us would probably have never heard of them anyway.
    So those people are probably just jealous or something.
    The only point about some bands getting big I don't like is how some bands get big and than change their act to get even bigger. Korn never did this. Korn evolved but they always did it on their own terms and not let some record-company tell them what to do or what to look like.
    Can you imagine Korn with smoothly shaven faces, tight clothes, lotsa eyeliner and emo-haircuts? XD

8. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 7:19 AM

Jeroen Moody wrote:
    Yeah. People who do not think a band should get big aren't really fans I think.
    I think it's great Korn got their big break. Otherwise, most of us would probably have never heard of them anyway.
    So those people are probably just jealous or something.
    The only point about some bands getting big I don't like is how some bands get big and than change their act to get even bigger. Korn never did this. Korn evolved but they always did it on their own terms and not let some record-company tell them what to do or what to look like.
    Can you imagine Korn with smoothly shaven faces, tight clothes, lotsa eyeliner and emo-haircuts? XD

My Chemical Romance's albums before The Black Parade were dope and original in my opinion...they were just doing them. Now they suck so hard and are gimmicky beyond belief, and the music is TERRIBLE now.
    -Sinjinsmyth-

9. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:27 PM

well for one thing i guess it's when they were considered the most hard-core. Debut and LiP were phenomenal. But personally Issues is my favorite, and all of their albums are great. I just met this guy working at a music store who told me he only likes their first two albums, and that he doesn't really like Korn anymore. Depends who you're talking to. The heavy metal junkies are going to like the first two albums the best. My friends who also listen to Lady Gaga and Rise Against like SYOTOS and Untitled. The Slipknot/Lamb of God fans I talk to say Korn isn't even heavy at all. It all depends what you're looking for in Korn.
    Then, now, and forever... A.D.W.D.A.K.!!!

10. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Cos even now they melt your fucking face off. Simples.

...be yourself, let you come through...

11. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 12:46 AM

For me the best two are Follow the Leader and Issues. Go figure.

12. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered

Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 8:23 AM

S/T and LIP are easily my faves, simply becouse they are so damn raw, heavy, dark, scary, and emotional! and thats korn for me, I miss those days! I miss JD's raw emotional yells, I miss Heads scary fucked up squeeky high notes, I miss the super crazyness they had in those days, I miss how they looked! 1993 - 1997 is my fave korn era! and s/t is my all time fave album! is magic recorded!

BUT even thou I miss those days, it doesn't mean I think the rest sucks, I def don't! I love all KoRn albums! All of them are brilliant!!!

I LOVE KORN!

13. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:35 AM

People who say that shit aren't fans, how can you not even get a sliver of enjoyment out of albums after the first two and seriously say you like the band?
    "Death is but a door. Time is but a window. I'll be back"

14. Re: Why are Korn's first two albums considered "the best"?

Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:33 AM

RemoveTheVirus wrote:
    People who say that shit aren't fans, how can you not even get a sliver of enjoyment out of albums after the first two and seriously say you like the band?
    "Death is but a door. Time is but a window. I'll be back"

that.

But I agree, i think it's because they were more raw, heavy and emotional. Still, I would include FTL in my list of favorite Korn albums as well. But I like the rest too, i didn't like SYOTOS as much as I like the rest, but it still had some cool songs.

Newsletter Signup