Whammy (Sorry if old); gear people.

Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Hey guys sorry if talked about before. But I am using a Whammy Pedal now through my Mesa Mark V/POD HD 500 and it has a exact model of the old XP 100 (I think is the name they used) (Also as I finally got my HD500 set up for sick live settings and love having all the FX in a simple bank lay out and hate pedal tap dancing)

2 Questions

1 Why do they use the Whammy pedal so much rather then just play the octave up? (yes I know does not apply when octaving down)

2 Does anyone know what octave settings for popular songs like Hear To Stay, Trash etc.?

I wanna know what parameters to set my whammy's in my chain. The interwebz is all over the place with different info on their setttings. So say the intro to HTS is one guitar normal, the other 1-2 octaves lower etc. Curious if anyone knows a page or can post some definitive whammy octaves.

(I know Munky uses 2 whammy's one old and one new so I am assuming some songs are used for different Octaves like one song maybe 2 octaves down for one part.....one song 1 octave down etc....which is cool with the HD500 as I can simply make a patch with multiple whammy's with different settings)

Figured I would try here as all those guitar sites IMO tend to bash you when you ask for KoRn settings when the mooks don't realize that aside from Ibby Universes.....they aint gonna get a near quality "Ibby" 7 banger then a K7 or the Apex1BBK/100....yes I know other brands make good 7 strings but I just feel Ibby does it the best)

/rant/babble

Thanks!
www.seanydiesel.com
http://www.seanydiesel.com/munky.htm
www.myspace.com/centrifuse
www.twitter.com/sean106OCD

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Whammy (Sorry if old); gear people.

Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 6:10 PM
  2. RE: Whammy (Sorry if old); gear people.

Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 2:30 AM

Hi Sean,

1. 1 Why do they use the Whammy pedal so much rather then just play the octave up? (yes I know does not apply when octaving down)

- Songs like 'Got the life' and 'BBK' use harmonics that can't be played higher up without the use of an octave pedal. Also, with the octave pedal you get a sweeping effect, as you move the pedal up you hit all the notes in between...as opposed to playing higher on the neck. This is used on Freak on a leash for instance.

1. 2 Does anyone know what octave settings for popular songs like Hear To Stay, Trash etc.?

-I can tell you that with the XP 100 the setting used is 21, I couldn't tell you the settings required to replicate this on another pedal, i'd advise hunting down an old XP 100, although I don't imagine it'd be that hard to replicate if you have a pitch shifter and a good ear.

1. 3 I know Munky uses 2 whammy's one old and one new so I am assuming some songs are used for different Octaves

- I could be wrong, but I think Munk uses the XP for everything pitch related. He just has 2 set up for ease of use, as settings are 13 and 21 in the sound bank. I think the new whammy pedal you're seeing is just used for the Wah effect.

Here's some extra guitar info you might be interested in-
    The ibanez universe is made from base wood as opposed to the K7 which is mahogany. Munk still uses the old Uni, Head used to use an RG7620 which is a stripped down Uni (Woodstock 99 you see both guitars) For this configuration they use Dimarzio Blaze NECK pickups in the BRIDGE position.

Hope this helps somewhat, since nobody answered I thought I'd give you what I have.

3. Re: Whammy (Sorry if old); gear people.

Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Hey thanks for the info my friend.

Yeah I am getting used to the whammy and trying to play around more with it to incorporate it into my bands songs as I write our new record but fuuuuu....I just had hand surgery so I am out for 11-12 days of playing. ( had to have a small screw put in my left hand thumb to re attach a small bone that fragmented off from a nasty fall) Having guitar withdrawals LOL

Yeah I put DM Deactivators in my Apex1BBK and it sounds so much better then the stock PAF 7's. I am not digging the Blaze's in my Apex100 and might do the same. I wish the Apex100 was made of Mahogany rather then Alder (like the 1BBK and K-7's have Mahogany as u mentioned). I wanna get a Uni, but man they still fetch for a lot on the Bay. Thanks for the reply!
    www.seanydiesel.com
    http://www.seanydiesel.com/munky.htm
    www.myspace.com/centrifuse
    www.twitter.com/sean106OCD

Newsletter Signup