Opinions on Religion?

Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM

So I'm curious of what you all feel about religion, or what you view. I thought this would be a interesting topic. Plus I wanna get to know some people on here.

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 2:00 PM

The Observer Effect in physics merely states that the act of interaction will have an effect on the thing being observed, most notably in experiments like the Double Slit. It's not very well understood why this happens, granted, but the cause lies in wave-particle duality and Feynman's Path Intergral forumula. Particles act either like waves or single objects depending on any observational interaction, and can exist in multiple places at the same time, which means they take every possible path from source to destination.

Observer Effect, in this instance applies only to quantum phenomena, it doesn't apply to macroscopic objects.

Also, atoms don't emit atoms.

2. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 2:08 PM

ADandelion wrote:
    Dr. Masaru Emoto has worked with water, and observed it changing when people evoked strong emotion by it. His work has been largely controversial. Here is his work as published in Explore Journal .

"Emoto's work is widely considered pseudoscience by professionals, and he is criticized for going directly to the public with misleading claims that violate basic physics, based on methods that fail to properly investigate the truth of the claims"

"Commentators have criticized Emoto for insufficient experimental controls, and for not sharing enough details of his approach with the scientific community. In addition, Emoto has been criticized for designing his experiments in ways that leave them open to human error influencing his findings."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaru_Emoto#Criticism

In short, Masaru Emoto is at best a crackpot and at worst a dishonest con man.

3. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I cited the examples out of a very basic, minimal awareness of modern science whose effects seem to be linked to the spiritual, or to the human soul. Other such examples include the sudden diminished mass of a corpse's weight a given time after its heart ceases beating.

The point that I was trying to make was that science has given logical explanations to the colorful, imaginative and inaccurate ones humans have been using to describe the world. One is replacing the other. In these given cases, I wanted to demonstrate a link between what seems spiritual and what is scientific, and how religion crudely describes truth through human experience and guesswork, while science slowly, accurately and methodically re-describes that same truth, and in doing so brings us closer to its nature by eliminating the false and bringing in new information.

I thank you for the discussion; your challenges to my claims hve made me look them over. However, as you seem to have your roots solidly lodged in science, could you switch your role from the opposer to the informer? Rather than having me putting out my layman's views from the tidbits I've gathered, it would make for a more stimulating discussion if you shared what you know.

4. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I would be happy to do so, but given the subject matter I would advise that we follow the rules of debate. That being the burden of proof lies with whoever makes the positive claim, which is why I asked for you to provide evidence.

If there's anything specific you'd like to discuss then fire away. Though given that for some reason I have to work in order to get money I won't be able to respond for a while.

5. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM

That makes sense. I have work of my own to take care of, (imagine that), but I'll come back to this when I've formulated thoughts and questions to my satisfaction.

6. Moderator

Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM

The bashing and name calling back and forth needs to stop! This type of behavior adds nothing to the discussion and is only of a harassing nature. There is no need to take it to that level.

7. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Agonstic-atheist with some trails of spirituality.

I don't believe in man-made religion.

God might or might not exist.

I believe in the undiscovered source of inspiration and creativity. Whatever form it may have.
    ----------------------------------------------

Stop reading my signature.

I mean it

8. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Very nice. You should elaborate like this in the Catbox more often.

9. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Peace to all of you, believers or not, we all are the temple.
    Hic sunt leones

10. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Atheist

Don't believe in a god or a religion. The way I look at it as is that religion is like a penis. Its fine to have one. Its fine to be proud of it. But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around, and please don't try to shove it down children's throats.

11. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:57 PM

I'm a satanic christian.

"Sometimes, I hate, the life, I made
    everything's wrong every time"

12. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:44 AM

religion is not a big deal to me and i dont give a shit what other people's religions are.i accept people no matter their religion.
    a bag of weed a bag of weed everything is better with a bag of weeg

13. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I accept people of all religions, but I choose to not subscribe to any particular one. I believe what I believe, and though I am willing to listen to any ideas, I'm not very likely to accept them. I don't agree with religions that are hateful, exclusive, or violent (In their theoretical form, because people suck and use religion to hide behind while committing atrocities). I also don't agree with religious fanatics that push their beliefs on other people and disrespect their way of life (Such as the people from Westboro Baptist Church). But I do believe that forgiveness and peace are key, so while I don't agree with them, I forgive them for their ignorance, and hope that they will someday find a better path.
    There is no sound more
    beautiful than the tenor
    of a troubled man

14. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM

ladyfreakshow wrote:
    religion is not a big deal to me and i dont give a shit what other people's religions are.i accept people no matter their religion.
    a bag of weed a bag of weed everything is better with a bag of weeg

"Sometimes, I hate, the life, I made
    everything's wrong every time"

15. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Fuck god and Jesus sucks dick. Can I say that here?
    Dead Bodies Everywhere

16. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I would say that God exists, but not in any way that we can possibly concieve. If we did find God the Republicans would undoubtedly find the whole situation problematic. They have found something new to start a war with, but that thing happens to be God. A tricky situation but I'm pretty sure the standard Republican urge to kill stuff would result in the US nuking Him.

Anyway, I think more along the lines of Solaris. God is an entity which created things. If the universe was created by a giant cloud of atoms and energy then that would be God.

But to think God gives a shit about us is as silly as it would be for us to care about the existence of an individual microbe.

17. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I believe in God but I don't associate myself with any religious organization. I don't mind being friend with people of different religions as long as they don't force their beliefs on me. That's why I don't usually talk about religion because it's really controversial and I don't feel like arguing with people.
    "Become good at cheating and you never need to become good at anything."

18. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Felix Dzerzhinsky wrote:
    I would say that God exists, but not in any way that we can possibly concieve. If we did find God the Republicans would undoubtedly find the whole situation problematic. They have found something new to start a war with, but that thing happens to be God. A tricky situation but I'm pretty sure the standard Republican urge to kill stuff would result in the US nuking Him.

Anyway, I think more along the lines of Solaris. God is an entity which created things. If the universe was created by a giant cloud of atoms and energy then that would be God.

But to think God gives a shit about us is as silly as it would be for us to care about the existence of an individual microbe.

So Deism with large dose of Pantheism? Einstein had similar opinions, myself; I see little point in deifying reality.

19. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 7:53 AM

misanthrope wrote:
    I'll address you're points about religion itself, being seeing as you stepped into my home turf (science) I'll get that out of the way first:

Bc lets face it atheists, how can something come from nothing. Even u guys have a hard time explaining that one.

Actually not really, because no one worth their salt in the cosmology community will claim anything came from nothing. To undertand why you need to understand that 'nothing' doesn't actually exist, and nor could it. If we posit that before the Big Bang there still existed a system that obeyed the laws of physics, then energy would have existed. Thermodynamics states energy can't be destroyed so essentially you're stuck with it ad infinitum. This energy would have been at the lowest density state, vacuum energy. Vacuum energy still allows for virtual particles to exist, they appear in particle/anti-particle pairs, annihilate and then the energy is returned to the system. Baryon Asymmetry states that occasionally particles are not formed symmetrically, and so do not annihilate. All it takes is say, infinity, and the laws of quantum mechanics (in the case Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle) and eventually you will get a universe. I'd do the maths for you but I'm off out in a minute, so I'll post it later with my reply to your reply about religion itself.

The majority of scientists agree that there is more probability of life to not exist, through their calculations, than it is probable for life to have existed.

Actually they don't. Complex organic molecules and amino acids are some of the most common in the universe, and it's relatively easy for those to form self replicating nucleotide chains given the right catalyst. That's all life really is, self replicating nucleotide chains that by their structure allow for protein synthesis. No supernatural deities required.

For us to be as evolved as we are today not only does the earth have to sit on its axis to a precise mathematical degree but every single other aspect of the big bang, and all that ensued, had to precisely mathematically happen the way that it did.

Cart before the horse fallacy. We exist because those are the conditions that exist. Those condition don't exist just so we can exist.

The point I'm trying to make is that the idea of our evolution itself helps the case for the existence of God. Only something so intelligent as a God could've allowed the pieces to fall as precisely as it did, and still does.

Evolution requires 2 things; life that undergoes reproduction with variation, and and selective pressures. Again, no God required. We are a freak of 4.5 billion years of pressures on our genetics, nothing more. Yet we can understand this, and that makes us special.

Will you marry me?

20. Re: Opinions on Religion?

Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 7:58 AM

misanthrope, I enjoyed your posts regarding this topic, though, I know you don't care ;). I generally stay out of religious conversations because most people don't like my views.

Newsletter Signup