Re: "Korn is for 10 year olds to listen to"

Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Original post from anonymous user from Last.FM

"I am curious about something, and maybe some current Korn fans can illuminate my dark, dark ignorance. See, when I was 10 years old, I thought Korn were fucking amazing. The heaviest, most insane band on Earth, and they really spoke to me emotionally. I too hated my parents, my school, my town... they were are shit head fuckers who didn't understand me. However, as I got older, I realized I was just being a stupid fucking kid. My parents were(and are) amazing, my town wasn't great but I didn't have to stay, and school was awesome. However, I find that people who have moved passed puberty still like Korn, well into their 20's and beyond. My question: what about Korn do you find appealing past the age of 14 or so? The music is clearly geared to very young people both stylistically and lyrically, so what is the appeal? At 20 something years old, do you still hate your parents and wear black all day?"

Your Thoughts?

Replies to This Posting

1. RE: Re: "Korn is for 10 year olds to listen to"

Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Well, let's be perfectly honest, I am immature. A 33 year old man shouldn't laugh so much at fart jokes. However, my immaturity isn't the reason I still love Korn, I think Korn speaks to a universal facet of the human condition: alienation. It is my opinion, that in some way, everyone is alone and separated deeply from everything and everyone around them. True, our fires may all burn together at times making great light or causing massive destruction, but we are all our own candles, some burning richly and others barely smoldering. I think Korn, at least for me, articulates this distance and I think they are good at what they do. Every band isn't Megadeath, and that's okay. JD, Fieldy, Munky, and Ray do what they want and I'm glad.

The hope bucket
    mlukec

2. cdu avatar cdu

RE: Re: "Korn is for 10 year olds to listen to"

Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

For each of us our interest in Korn is very different. If you have moved on to better things then great but your questions and generalizations reveal more about where you have come from than providing an insight into what Korn fans are like. What do I find appealing past the age of 14? The music Korn makes still makes me get up and move, I love it.

3. RE: Re: "Korn is for 10 year olds to listen to"

Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Ive never been that stereotypical "goth" or "emo" black wearing hate life person. I will admit that i dont get along with my parents a lot and that school is frustrating, but aside from that, i like korn because theyre different than everyone else, like i feel that i am. And im proud to be different, so its not that im some immature 16 year old thats like "YEAH FUCK THE WORLD!!", but it just helps me define who i am.

4. RE: Re: "Korn is for 10 year olds to listen to"

Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I've tried to listen to KoRn again recently and I really just couldn't find anything appealing about them. Their sound is tired and dated and that whole 'hate everything' shit is just old.
    It's cool that they are trying new things (like the whole dubstep sound). It doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, but it's still cool that they're trying.

I really did want to like them again, but it just didn't happen.

5. RE: Re: "Korn is for 10 year olds to listen to"

Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM

To me KoRn is about the live show. I'm not all into their lyrics and all. I could fit all the KoRn that I like to listen to on one CD, and not MP3! That would include a mixture of studio tracks, live tracks, new songs, remixes, and dubstep mash-ups.

6. RE: Re: "Korn is for 10 year olds to listen to"

Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I'm too young to be considered fully out of the 'life sucks' demographic bracket. but I'll take a stab at what my future self might say.

Lyrically, Korn has never appealed to me. Rather, it was the sound of Korn itself that I've always been drawn to and intrigued by. The wide variety of sound (light, heavy, poppy, proggy) melded with that dissonance at the core, and that all-important groove. Somehow the influences melded together by Korn create an illogical, yet compelling sound that challenges me as a listener.

7. RE: Re: "Korn is for 10 year olds to listen to"

Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Can you ever imagine not being into metal? Of course not! And that's why you and most of your friends will still be listening to metal when you're in your 60s or 70s or whatever. Of course, you'll get into other stuff along the way, but metal will always be in your heart and that's why we'll have more and more older Korn fans in the future - much in the same way that dudes in their 50s or 60s still love Black Sabbath, for example.

This form of music is not an old enough genre to have a whole lot of fans past the age of, say, 40 or so yet. There are some, of course, but when Korn first appeared on the scene almost 20 years ago this new genre came into being properly. The average fan was probably anywhere between 14 and 18 and those people will now be in their 30s, most of whom will also probably still be into the band. Let's face it, once you're into metal you never lose it. So, yes, it initially appealed mostly to the younger audience and while it still does I would imagine there's a lot more of the older generation of metalheads into the band these days. Reaching a broader spectrum agewise.

It's the same with death and black metal, only to more of an extent because they're slightly older genres than nu-metal. That's why you see such a mix of age groups at those sort of shows - from 16 year olds to people in their 40s. Those genres are old enough now that the people who first got into the bands back in the day when they were 15 are now in their 30s and 40s etc. And, since we never lose our metal heart - regardless of genre - the next 10 and 20 years etc will see more and more older metal fans. The random 'old' dude that you see at shows now and again these days will become a lot more common in the future. You can already see it at shows. The members of Korn are in their 40s now as it is. A bright future for metal, methinks, for all age groups

Rrrrrrrrannnt over.....

8. RE: Re:

Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Godkiller wrote:
    Can you ever imagine not being into metal?

Yes.

9. RE: Re: "Korn is for 10 year olds to listen to"

Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 6:51 AM

I suppose that initial sentence of mine was aimed at people for which metal isn't just a passing fad.

10. RE: Re: "Korn is for 10 year olds to listen to"

Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 7:40 AM

As you read my post, please imagine it consists of better, less repetitive sentences than it actually contains. Thank you.

11. RE: Re: "Korn is for 10 year olds to listen to"

Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Thought your post reads great Abdul. Totally agree, by the way - it's more how Korn actually sound that has always caught my attention, too

12. RE: Re:

Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Godkiller wrote:
    I suppose that initial sentence of mine was aimed at people for which metal isn't just a passing fad.

Or for people who seemingly deify what is essentially just vibrations of air.

13. RE: Re:

Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Godkiller wrote:

Passing fad?

I can understand how you fail to see any other way. You are obviously very enthusiastic about your metal, which is great, but you need to keep in mind that as you age and experience different things you will change as a person and that can also result in a change in musical taste.

I used to listen to all the nu metal stuff and very little else, yet 10 years later I can honestly say that I can't listen to even one song. You can't really call it a 'passing fad' because that assumes that you change your taste very quickly. For me it wasn't a quick change; it was a long gradual drift from one genre to others.

I still enjoy metal and I'm still as big a NIN fan as I ever was, but my love of metal has diversified onto other things. I can easily imagine a day when I even find NIN to be impossible to listen to. Maybe it wont happen any time soon, but in ten years I may well reject metal completely in favour of something entirely different.

Music tends to accompany the type of life and mind frame you exist in and as that changes so does the music.

14. RE: Re:

Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I'm 57 years old. I have been a fan of Korn since about 1994. There have been albums that I wasn't crazy about but others that I loved. Unlike the die hard, old school fans, I appreciate that Korn has always tried new things which give the fans something to look forward to and keeps their music fresh. The world is dynamic and music must be dynamic, too. I believe that they have achieved this with The Path to Totality which I really enjoy...so much so that I am going to my first Korn concert in Knoxville on April 30. I'll be the one up in the center balcony with the silver hair.

But back to your question...why would I still listen to Korn. I don't find that the lyrics are geared to very young people. I find that many of the songs are representative of how someone can feel at any stage of their life based on how life has treated them. It really doesn't have anything to do with hating your parents...maybe more with hating your circumstances. Wait until you get a few decades on you. Maybe you will begin to understand. I suppose that I can only give the answer that represents me...old people have angst, too! And, besides, how can you resist that bass?

15. RE: Re: "Korn is for 10 year olds to listen to"

Sun, May 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Cool post and spot on about how Korn can relate to all ages

Get the latest from Korn!